Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you WILL perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"



Sunday, February 25, 2007

Looking back....





Friday, February 25, 2000. It was an eventful day. I awoke early in to morning, already hospitalized for over 2 weeks, to my water breaking. I was one day shy of the 28th week of my pregnancy. Labor did not begin, so the doctor ordered antibiotics and suspended my right to get up to the bedside commode (pretty much my only out of bed activity). We spent the day waiting, unsure how long we could maintain the pregnancy. Later in the evening, all the visitors had gone home, and Brad and I were watching TV. Apparently the other baby decided to pop her balloon also, because another bag of water broke. From this point, labor began and birth became inevitable. Unfortunately, I think I was the only person who was recognizing this! The steadily worsening pain and pressure was being attributed to increased pressure on my bladder because contractions were simply not registering on the monitors. However, Baby A (aka Peyton) was becoming increasingly insistent on joining us. Finally, a different nurse took a look and quickly realized that we were about to have a new person in the room, and not one prepared to breath on her own! So things went quickly from there. Thankfully, some nice anestheologist (all pregnant women love this type of doctor ;) knocked me completely out. I don't remember anything else from that day, but Brad told me there were a ton of people in the operating room, none of which was him (funny, but that was absolutely fine with him).

Paige Elizabeth~born Feb 25, 2000 at 11:10 pm. She weighed 2 pounds and 5 1/2 ounces and was 14 1/2 inches long. bottom photo


Peyton Amanda~born Feb 25, 2000 at 11:09 pm. She weighed 2 pounds and 6 1/2 ounces and was 15 inches long. top photo

middle photo six weeks down the road. This is the first time that we were all together as a family. This was such a blessing, and a huge relief. Paige was still on oxygen (on Brad's chest). This was one of his first times to hold her, because she hadn't been off the ventilator more than a day or so. She was still very tiny, so to hold her meant holding her skin to skin to maintain her body temperature. Peyton, in my arms, had reached the weight where she could be held dressed and wrapped in a blanket. She was still learning to eat. Paige had yet to have her first bottle, but she took to it much quicker in the coming weeks. They were still SO small, but had come so far. This was our 3rd and final NICU. We moved one more time a few days later to the peds unit, were we spent the last few weeks in the hospital getting to know our babies, while they got strong enough to come home. Paige had spent 3 weeks the week after her birth at another hospital to receive specialized care for a hole in her esophogus. Both girls ended up at another facility in the city of their birth for insurance reasons. Care of these tiny patients is very specialized, and we are grateful and thankful to God for the people that He allows the skill to work with those newborns who come into this world sick or way too early. I am also thankful that the God who brought these babies into my life, and allowed them to be well and whole, is still interested in their well being. Even when I am tempted (every day) to worry about their futures, I can accept God's sovereignty and His Grace. I can look back on these days and remember his promise. "He who hath begun a good work in you, will be faithful to complete it until the day of Jesus Christ" Phil 1:6

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll never forget that day for as long as I live. I'll never forget watching Brad touch them for the first time and seeing how very very tiny they were. One of my favorite memories of them in the NICU was when Brad and I went together (the only time) to see Peyton. (because you were with Paige) Peyton was in an incubator and it was my first time to see her without the vent. Brad opened the little window and I videotaped her as she cried. I finally got to hear her "voice". I remember vividly that she sounded like a little lamb. It brings tears to my eyes remembering that special time for me.

Happy Birthday, Peyton and Paige! I love you! I'm so glad that God allowed you life.

Aunt Brittany

Unknown said...

Are you trying to kill me here??!! Did you know that the first time I was able to see them on the Covenant Peds unit, I changed my clothes 3 times trying to decide what they would like best? Apparently the insanity had already set in. Happy Birthday A and B. Love you bunches and bunches and bunches!!!!!

Anonymous said...

peyton and paige, this is grammy talking. you were very special little ones who came along and changed a lot of lives, including mine and poppas. we love you so much and want God's very best for you and your mom and dad. i put my rings on today that poppa bought for me. one was a emerald for may whenyou were supposed to be born. then he got me twin amesthysts for you february arrival. every time i look at those rings my heart strings go bing bing bing, or something like that. you are very special little girls 7 years old wow. and tonight you tell the world that you love Jesus and will be baptized. i am so proud of you. there is no greater joy than to know my children walk with the Lord. love and happy birthday, gram and pop

Anonymous said...

bjxpeyton and paige, this is grammy talking. you were very special little ones who came along and changed a lot of lives, including mine and poppas. we love you so much and want God's very best for you and your mom and dad. i put my rings on today that poppa bought for me. one was a emerald for may whenyou were supposed to be born. then he got me twin amesthysts for you february arrival. every time i look at those rings my heart strings go bing bing bing, or something like that. you are very special little girls 7 years old wow. and tonight you tell the world that you love Jesus and will be baptized. i am so proud of you. there is no greater joy than to know my children walk with the Lord. love and happy birthday, gram and pop

Anonymous said...

happy birthday girls. it seems like it was yesterday ryan and i would come over on sunday nights after church and visit with you sandy while you were stuck on the couch! it has been a real blessing to see the girls grow into Godly young girls. I continue to pray that they will grow closer to God daily and be strong, healthy, Godly young women.

Here is a verse I memorized for my boys:
"For He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone. Psalm 91:11-12
God will always be watching over your girls, no matter where they may have to go.

The Tiffinian said...

You know what's weird? I prayed for you guys back then at my church in Wisconsin, which happened to be the same church Matt and Charity went to. I didn't even know you, though I was already dating Gret.