Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you WILL perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"



Friday, October 27, 2006

It is All about Him..so therefore, not about me!

My friend Megan loaned me the book, "Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free." I started this book last night and have been very excited about what I am reading. I decided to read through it quickly, and then go back and use the chapters and their accompanying scripture during my devotions. The book states that we become in bondage to sin and that all sin can be linked back to a lie that we believed. We first listen to a lie, dwell on a lie, believe the lie, and then act on the lie. The book outlines 40 lies that woman, christian women, commonly believe. The book uses the Truth, as outlined in God's word, to move us from bondage to freedom. I quickly read over the lies we believe about God. And yes, I was guilty of several of them that I quickly recognized. I then skipped to the back to read about the truth. Twenty two of the truths are highlighted in the book. Numbers 18 and 19 stuck out to me in a flash. They were Personal holiness is more important than termporal happiness and God is more concerned about changing me and glorifying Himself than about solving my problems. Another Truth that I was instantly convicted with was number 22. It states that It's not about me; it's all about Him. The following verse spoke to me as did this phrase from Nancy Leigh DeMoss's book: "Before we can respond in a godly way to the circumstances of life, we must first settle this basic issue:What is my purpose in life? If our goal in life is to be happy or accepted or loved, then anything that threatens our well-being will be an enemy-an obstacle to fulfilling out objective. On the other hand, once we agree with God that we exist for His pleasure and His glory, we can accept whatever comes into our lives as part of His sovereign will and purpose."
Revelation 4:11 (New International Version)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
"You are worthy,
our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they were created
and have their being."
It really is ALL ABOUT HIM!

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

BIG THOUGHTS! I love it! I got tears to my eyes!

No matter what we wrestle with, it boils down to that truth -- and it does indeed set us free! That is why I am not scared of God's sovereinty, instead, I am so SECURE because of it!