Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you WILL perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"



Thursday, November 16, 2006

what's wrong with knowing good and evil?

I am continuing to read from the book "The Road to Forgiveness." Before I went to sleep last night, I read a chapter written by the father, Bill Griffiths, about his search for why there had to be death. He examined Genesis for what went wrong in the Garden of Eden. He asked "what's wrong with knowing good and evil?" in reference to the fruit from the forbidden tree. He asks "why would God not waht His young creation to know what to do and what not to do?" He then saw the verses referring to "you shall surely die." This was a promise of God, just like the promises in the Bible of blessings. The author feels that the word "know" refers to experience, not just head knowledge. An example would be how you "know grief" when a loved one dies. The tree of knowledge represented God giving man free will to choose. If there had been no tree, then man would have loved God because he had no other choice. Because of man's choice, we know the difference between good and evil in that we experience it. "The fruit Adam and Eve ate was the fruit of selfish ambition, pride, and the determination to be in charge of themselves." But the good part that man would know is the "opportunity to make another choice." "God is love-and te ony way to redeem the sin committed was to redeem it Himself, through the death of His Son on the cross."

Again I have read about the origin of sin, and heard many sermons about it, but I have never thought much about why the choice was necessary. I have given alot of thought to the choice we all have to serve self or to serve God. We are given this choice each day of our lives, and we always have the ability to choose to believe the truth. Joshua 24:15 states "But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourself this day whom you will serve..." I know that I have spent many years daily making decisions based on what felt right to me. Just serving myself, having idols in my life, and satisfying my flesh. I now know that God is a jealous God, and He wants first place in my life, regardless of the circumstances of life. I also know that he gives the grace necessary to make the right choice, and he offers forgiveness when I fail. Psalm 32:5 "I said 'I will confess my transgressions to the LORD' and you forgave the guilt of my sin."

No comments: