Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you WILL perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"



Monday, May 19, 2008

Movie Night



The girls and I headed to the theater tonight to see "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" which we have been anxiousy awaiting. The movie was amazing, and filled with plenty of Christian symbolism, just as the first in the series. The girls watched, enthralled, for the 2 1/2 hour show. The technical affects were great, and they managed to have great battle scenes, minus the gore you usually see. I tried to take the time to point out to the girls when the storyline was a clear allagory of the Christian walk. These people hadn't seen Aslan in 1300 years, and they were starting to not believe in him anymore. Lucy, the youngest of the 4 Kings and Queens of Narnia was had a tender heart toward her "god" Aslan. However, the others were losing hope in him and starting to put their hope in themselves. I could totally relate to this allegory. There was a scene when Lucy saw a flash of Aslan and knew which direction the group should go. Her faith faltered when they blew her off, so she followed along with their ill-fated plan. Later, when she came face to face with Aslan, she was lovingly rebuked. She said "I just knew it was you all along, but the others didn't believe me." His kindly replied, (I paraphrase) that she could have followed him anyway. I only wished that I could stop the movie and explain how important that conversation was to the girls. If the others had listened to Lucy on several occasions, or if she had stood for what she knew was right regardless, the losses could have been much less. Aslan reminded her that they would never know what could have been, only what was.

Sorry to go on about a movie, but I wanted to point out some of the things that spoke the most to me. I would love to hear from anyone who sees the movie, and picked out a spiritual application that affected them.

4 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Sandy:
I'm working the night shift as RN in a Long Term facility and found your site while browsing through the RN blog sites. I'm interested in the book - the Papa prayer by Larry Crabb. I'm just finishing my break, but wondered what you thought of the book. Thanks, Connie

Brittany said...

Wow. I didn't know what the movie was really about. I won't be seeing it, as you and I discussed before, but I can certainly talk to Lauren about it when she does. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Anonymous said...

The girls just told me all about the movie and explained who people were on the picture. Glad it was a good bonding time for you and your girls. Love, Gram

Gretchen said...

What I liked about the movie is the way Lucy adores Aslan, and delights in him, and finds such joy in being with him. Lucy is a true follower. Faithful. She never doubts the goodness and faithfulness of Aslan.