Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you WILL perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"



Sunday, May 10, 2009

Helen Harness Connor Guyer 1917-2009

Words heard as we were going to bed last night:

Dear Jesus, help this night to be well, and that Gee Gee is in your arms…”

Mommy, I think Gee Gee is talking to Abraham Lincoln!”

april 09 158

Peyton, Gee Gee, Paige (Good Friday, 2009)

Yesterday, my grandmother went home to be with the Lord.  She was 91 years old.  Thirteen days ago, I went to my parents house to get the girls.  Gee Gee was a little agitated that day, not wanting to sit, and she needed to be watched more carefully that she wouldn’t fall.  So the girls and I ended up staying there all day through Gee Gee’s bedtime.  I helped her to bed along with my mom and sister that night, and that was the last time I ever saw her out of that bed.  Two days later, mom called me and said Grandma wasnt well and they couldn’t get her up.  The girls and I were headed for Chicago that day, so we went there early and spent time with Grandma, but she didn’t really wake up.  I heard her talk once more the next day over the phone, but she was never really very alert after that.  I spent as much time as possible last week at her house.  We watched as she grew weaker.  It wasn’t her wishes to be put in a hospital anymore, so we continued to take care of her at home.  The bulk of this job going to my mother and my sister.  Paige and Peyton were wonderful, they came and went.  They did understand what was happening, and had times when they would cry.  Yesterday, mom called me at work and told me that she was much worse.  I left work and arrived at her house with about 30 minutes to say my goodbyes and to help the girls as they said theirs. 

Grandma was saved, she had Jesus in her heart, so there isn’t any doubt where she is.  We also know that she has said goodbye to many people that she loved over the past 50 years, and that she was very happy to see these people again.  And with a new body that was no longer frail! 

More later, off the church for the Mother’s Day services.

3 comments:

Fran R. said...

Thank you for a lovely post about GeeGee. You captured the events of these past two weeks well. I appreciate your little family and all that you did to help Jamie and I (and Dad). We did what GeeGee wanted. She got to stay at home. I am so thankful.

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful blog :) -sioby bullock

Charity said...

Praying for you and your family...Love you!