Philippians 1:6 "Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you WILL perform it until the day of Jesus Christ"



Saturday, September 09, 2006

The text for my devotions today...

Lamentations 3
Hope in the LORDs Faithfulness
1I am the one who has seen the afflictions that come from the rod of the LORD's anger.
2He has brought me into deep darkness, shutting out all light.
3He has turned against me. Day and night his hand is heavy upon me.
4He has made my skin and flesh grow old. He has broken my bones.
5He has attacked me and surrounded me with anguish and distress.
6He has buried me in a dark place, like a person long dead.
7He has walled me in, and I cannot escape. He has bound me in heavy chains.
8And though I cry and shout, he shuts out my prayers.
9He has blocked my path with a high stone wall. He has twisted the road before me with many detours.
10He hid like a bear or a lion, waiting to attack me.
11He dragged me off the path and tore me with his claws, leaving me helpless and desolate. 12He bent his bow and aimed it squarely at me.
13He shot his arrows deep into my heart.
14My own people laugh at me. All day long they sing their mocking songs.
15He has filled me with bitterness. He has given me a cup of deep sorrow to drink.
16He has made me grind my teeth on gravel. He has rolled me in the dust.
17Peace has been stripped away, and I have forgotten what prosperity is.
18I cry out, "My splendor is gone! Everything I had hoped for from the LORD is lost!"
19The thought of my suffering and homelessness is bitter beyond words.[
a]
20I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss.
21Yet I still dare to hope when I remember this:
22The unfailing love of the LORD never ends! By his mercies we have been kept from complete destruction.
23Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each day.
24I say to myself, "The LORD is my inheritance; therefore, I will hope in him!"
25The LORD is wonderfully good to those who wait for him and seek him.
26So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the LORD.
27And it is good for the young to submit to the yoke of his discipline.
28Let them sit alone in silence beneath the LORD's demands.
29Let them lie face down in the dust; then at last there is hope for them.
30Let them turn the other cheek to those who strike them. Let them accept the insults of their enemies.
31For the Lord does not abandon anyone forever.
32Though he brings grief, he also shows compassion according to the greatness of his unfailing love.
33For he does not enjoy hurting people or causing them sorrow.

God is teaching me about my emotions being ruled by my thinking. In these verses, we see a very emotional Jeremiah and how he changes his thinking about God, and therefore his thinking changes. Verse 20 brings about a change if his thinking. This verse really speaks to me because he says he will never forget what has happened to him, but in the next verse he dares to hope in God's unfailing love. This is where I want to spend my life, daring to hope in God's unfailing love. My bible study, while ultimately timely words to me from God through Lamentations, came from a Focus of the Family bible study Healing the Heart, study topic Restoration. While this study is primarily for women, there are great things in it for all.

1 comment:

Betty 'Rie said...

Bravo, Sandy. You're getting the most important thing about trials. It's not about changing other people, it's about changing me. It's not focusing on the choices that other people need to make, because we can't make them do it, it's focusing on the choices that we can make for ourselves. Remember that God's mercies are new EVERY morning--so even if we blow it today, tomorrow is a new start.